Saturday 29 November 2014

1 Week Post Partum


Firstly, I wanted to point out this is not a guide of what you should or should not do post birth to lose weight or get back your body. Each mother's speed of recovery depends on several factors such as weight gained during pregnancy, how active you are, genes, if you breastfeed and if this is your first baby. I simply want to share my experiences and recovery so far. 

40 weeks pregnant 

Over the course of the 9 months I gained a total of 12kg. 48 hours after giving birth, I weighed myself and found that I had lost about 6.5kg from the birth. As of today, I lost a further 1.5kg. Most of this loss I attribute to genes. There are however a few things I do to ensure I am getting the most out of my recovery:

Exercise

I have not done any rigorous activity. The most I do is fold laundry and walk around in circles nursing Elliot to sleep. Before I can start any sort of work out I need to make sure my body has healed. 

Because your abdominal muscles split during pregnancy and because I had perineal stitches, throughout the day I do my pelvic floor exercises while simultaneously doing the following to aid in closing the gap:
  •  Keep your lower back flat
  • Breathe out and draw your belly button back towards your spine. Your lower back shouldn't flex or move. 
  • Hold this position and breathe lightly. Count to 10. 
  • Relax and repeat up to 10 times per set
  • Do 10 sets, as many times per day as you can. 

Elliot's sleeping is quite scheduled so I am able to get about 5 hours a night and about 2-3 hours in the day. 

Diet

I keep myself extremely hydrated. I drink about 4 litres of water a day - especially when I am breastfeeding. Which, itself speeds up my metabolism.

My diet has not changed much since before giving birth. See details of my daily diet here

Products

I looked into getting one of those belly bands or recovery shorts but I thought their price was a little too outrageous for my liking. I shopped around as I always do and found that you can get almost the equivalent on Ebay for a fraction of the price. I also ended up purchasing leggings that I actually saw on a TV infomercial. They are called the Slim and Tone Leggings. Learn more about them here


One Week Post Partum

I found that these leggings aided in the contracting of my uterus back into shape and has helped alongside my exercises to mend my abdominal muscles. I highly recommend them!

For my skin itself, I try to keep it as hydrated as possible. I moisturise after each shower - no particular cream at the minute and alternate between bio oil and moisturiser. In the shower however I like to use Frank Body Scrub a couple nights a week. I find this really does invigorate my skin and even though I didn't get stretch marks, I have noticed a difference in my skin elasticity. 


For now, I am not looking to get my 'body back' or to try and get stuck into working out. I am happy getting to know my new baby and when I feel like it, I may start with walking then later on post an exercise routine when my abs are healed. 






No comments:

Post a Comment