Wednesday 26 November 2014

The Bulldog & The Baby


Anyone bringing a baby home for the first time stresses that their existing furr-baby will not take to the newest arrival. For me, I wasn't worried that Emma, our 18 month old Bulldog, wouldn't accept Elliot; but rather than she would be so excessively excited to see her that I would have to keep them separated in case Emma bulldozed Bub with 27kg of pure love. 

Most people who have met Emma didn't have confidence that she would a) accept the baby because she is so fiercely protective of me or b) be able to be gentle enough to be near her. To be fair those are more than valid assumptions. Emma is head strong, rough, stubborn, never listens, hates strangers until they become friends with some convincing and if you aren't a dog-person, she isn't going to be a person-dog. 


Our plan when bringing Elliot home was to hand Emma over to my sister for two days as Emma is such a handful and so demanding. Hubby and I always said that we expected caring for a baby would be a breeze compared to what we have to deal with Emma and that we may need a few days to decompress and cope without her barking at us because we aren't with her 100% of the time anymore. 

During my early labour, Emma stayed by my side even resting her head on my belly during contractions. When my husband returned home briefly in the morning after we had Elliot at the hospital  to feed Emma, she sulked by the door unmoving waiting for me to come home. When I did a few hours later, she was a different dog. She was calm when greeting me, didn't jump and could tell that the little bundle I was holding was her new little sister and she was now Elliot's protector too. 

The Introduction

When we walked into the gate at home I held the baby but greeted Emma the same as always by talking happily to her. 

Before she got to see the baby, we tested her restraint by holding a swaddle to her nose that had the baby's scent on it and let her get a good whiff. 

Inside the house, because she had been calm so far, I sat on a seat and allowed Emma to sniff the baby's wrapped feet and bottom for a few minutes. 


Over the following days, I allowed the dog to get closer and closer to her in various situations such as in her rocker or sitting next to me while Elliot fed.



She would follow the baby around the house, very curious of us changing her, feeding her and especially the little noises she made. 

So far they have been a dream together. Emma worries when she hears the baby cry, likes to check on her while she sleeps, and loves to sit close to her for reassurance. She is even included in tummy time because she is so well behaved.


We set boundaries with Emma like not being allowed to bark at night, no paws on the baby, no getting close to her head or face, we don't leave them alone together at all and she's only allowed in the baby room when we are. 

Every dog of course will be different and you have to trust that they will be ok. I never had any doubt that Emma wouldn't be the best big sister. 


3 comments:

  1. So lovely!!! Sounds like she already loves Elliot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My comment disappear. I was just saying that this was such a sweet post. I will share on my FB page! Love seeing your two babies together, almost got tears, Laura!

    ReplyDelete