Sunday 16 November 2014

Sweet Potato & Fetta Frittata

I tried this frittata for the first time at my baby shower the other week. It was one of the many delicious little finger food platters that was kindly prepared by my family and I was so impressed by it in fact, I consumed most of the plate myself then made a mental note to track down the recipe so I could make it later. 

Original recipe found in this cook book

Last night I did just that for dinner and I'm so excited I have left overs for breakfast/lunch today because I can tell you; this is one of the best tasting things I've eaten in a while. The original recipe uses less sweet potato and instead if fetta it has goats cheese, but I like lots of veggies and prefer the taste of fetta so I tweaked it to suit my tastes. You can make either versions or even change flavours to suit yourself but either way it's super easy, quick, yummy and gluten free. 

See below for my step by step guide to be eating pumpkiny-goodness in under an hour. 

Ingredients
  • 500g sweet potato, cut into 2cm chunks
  • 6 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 410g tin creamed corn 
  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 100g fetta cheese, crumbled
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper


Method
  • Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius. Grease a 16cm square baking dish. 
  • Place chopped sweet potato in a microwave safe bowl and cover with cling film. Poke a few holes for steam to release and nuke for 5-6 minutes on high or until just tender - do not overcook. Drain and allow to cool slightly. 
  • Place the egg, creamed corn, garlic, salt and pepper (to your own preference) in a large bowl and mix together well. 

  • Combine the sweet potato and fetta cheese in the baking dish, then pour the egg mixture over the top. Move the dish around so everything is evenly distributed.

  • Bake for 25-30 minutes or until firm. (I cooked longer because my dish was smaller so frittata was thicker)
  • Leave for 5 min before serving. 

I paired this with a salad for dinner and then had with sliced avocado and bacon for breakfast the next day. This can also be served cold or room temperature. 

Please feel free to leave a comment if you try this out or if you have a frittata recipe of your own I should cook myself!!


No comments:

Post a Comment