Thursday 23 October 2014

What's In My Hospital Bag?

When I finally decided to man up and put together my hospital bag I had zero clues on what I would need and of how much. Of course my first point of contact would be Google, but I had to consider my chosen care plan and after birth care plan when making the list. 

I may point out now that I have no set birth plan per-say. Me, hubby and my midwife have decided to just go with the flow pretty much. And I plan on having the majority of pre-labour at home. Also, I may need to mention that I have chosen to be discharged from the hospital a few hours after giving birth if all goes well (meaning bub is healthy, I am healthy, bub has had her first successful feed and the hospital is happy to let me leave) and will have my care in-home with my midwife travelling to my house each day.

I mentioned these things because this will affect what goes in my bag as I am not planning on being there overnight/extended stay. If, for any reason I am, hubby and I have a contingency plan. Don't worry. 

So Google found me bunch of really unhelpful sites which I wont bother with cause they must have been written in the 50's with items like 'camera and extra roll of film & spare change for pay phone', but a few quite good ones I incorporated into my own tailored list are linked below:




My List

For Bub
  - Two singlets and two newborn onesies/going home outfit
  - Four nappies
  - Two swaddles
  - A baby blanket
  - Packet of wet wipes
  - Pair of Socks

For Me
  - Medical Records
  - Six breast pads
  - An extra nursing bra - I'll probably already be wearing one
  - Four pairs of underwear - cheap ones. They aren't making it back from the hospital
  - A cheap and comfy mu-mu 
  - Slippers - $9 kmart ones that also won't make it back from the hospital
  - A pair of Socks
 - Toiletries - Travel sized shower gel, deodorant, shampoo & conditioner, lip balm, hand cream, panadol, hair ties, face wipes and toothbrush and toothpaste.
  - Makeup - Basically just tinted moisturizer and mascara for when I leave the hospital. 
  - Going home outfit
  - Maternity Pads
  - Face Washer

For Our Sanity
  - iPhone charger and of course our iPhones - which double as music, entertainment (Foxtel GO, Facebook & Games), camera, communication and a throwing device.
  - Snacks - Beef Jerky, Crackers, Lollies, Gatorade, Water and cash for whatever reason.
  - Hubby's swim suit - in case he needs to get in the bath or shower with me. The midwife has made it clear; naked pregnant lady = OK, naked husband = NOT OK


I also want to make the packing experience for others easier and less time consuming than it was for myself so I have created a generic list template of things you may like to include your your own list. It's downloadable and you can add extra items and interpret how much of each item you'll need based on your own birth and care plan.



No comments:

Post a Comment